I got a new Nomad 883 Pro and it generates a lot of dust. This is going to be a big problem as I need to cut material that have hazardous fibers. I decided to make a dust skirt (aka vacuum skirt or vacuum shoe or vacuum head) so that a vacuum can suck up dust as the machine cuts. I 3D printed this thing, which is partly PLA plastic, and the skirt is 3D printed TPU (polyurethane) filament. The skirt is two layered and the cuts are made in a interleaved pattern so there’s a better seal. 3D printing makes this project really easy, just clean up the print, superglue, and tap the hole for the screw. The vacuum hose is 1.25 inch diameter and it just shoves right in with a perfect fit.
The CAD files can be downloaded here
I have a project that involves Micro Match connectors. They are similar to IDC connectors, but with a lower profile and a zig-zag pattern.
I had to crimp one connector onto a ribbon cable, my first attempt using a vice failed miserably, instead of the conductors being forced into the teeth properly, the forces instead crushed the connector. Unlike a IDC connector, which is mostly solid plastic, the Micro Match connectors are pretty hollow, thus weaker.
Continue reading to see how I solved this problem.
I don’t really like my “third-hand” tool so I decided to build a better one using flexible ball-jointed coolant spraying pipe hoses. It’s not a totally new idea, SparkFun even sells some of these parts as a kit. But my way is slightly better, and I got the hoses from eBay (look for “Flexible Water Oil Coolant Pipe Hose for Lathe CNC”) instead because SparkFun’s prices were excessively expensive.
While doing stuff regarding sniffing and spoofing a DualShock 4 controller for the Playstation 4, it might be useful to permanently unpair a DualShock 4 from the Playstation 4. This tool does that by setting a new Bluetooth MAC address (BDADDR) into a DualShock 4 using a computer.
A simple adjustable constant current dummy load, with digital readout and USB data logging.
Inspired by the dummy load made by Dave from the EEVBlog. I decided I wanted one because I work with a lot of battery powered designs and it’d be nice to have a simple way of testing a battery or power supply in terms of capability, capacity, and heat. It features a 2 line voltage and current reading, a rotary encoder as the user input to adjust the current setting, and USB data logging (plus bootloading). There are more neat features, please watch the video.
Here are some pretty pictures: (Imgur Album)
I replicated the functionality of a Turnigy ESC programming card. These programming cards are meant to configure electronic speed controllers (ESC). I always wanted to know how they work. Eventually I purchased one since I need one for my quadrotor helicopter’s ESC, and then I started playing with it.
It should be very simple to adapt the code to any microcontroller.
I wrote a tool to parse some USB data. You put in the data packet into the tool, and it’ll translate it into something you can understand.
The reason why I made this tool is because some USB traffic sniffers do not perform parsing on USB packets (especially the freeware ones), but the binary data can still be obtained. This tool will traverse through the binary data, and translate it into something human-readable, using the official documents from USB.org. The three types of data this tool can handle are “USB Standard Descriptors”, “USB Standard Requests”, and “USB HID Report Descriptors”.
The “parse USB HID report descriptor” function is the reverse of the (horrible) “HID Descriptor Tool” provided by USB.org, and the display format is very similar.
Because USB devices are generally embedded devices, this tool is designed with the C programming language in mind. The output can be imported as an array initializer.
I was frustrated when I couldn’t find a tool for this, so I wrote it in hopes that it will become useful for everybody looking for such a tool.
As I get more serious into my electronics hobby, I need to work with more SMD components. Some component packages are very difficult or impossible to solder with a traditional soldering iron. To solve this problem, I decided to hack a toaster oven to become a reflow soldering oven.